Updated: May 6, 2020
Light and flaky fish topped with a bright, crunchy citrus slaw makes a winning taco combo!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
Servings: 8-12 tacos (street taco size)
4-6 tilapia fillets, fresh or thawed from frozen
2 Tbsp olive oil
Corn tortillas (I recommend street taco size – double up to include 2 tortillas with each taco if using this size)
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp Kosher salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 small head red cabbage, chopped
2 Tbsp honey or sugar
2 limes, juiced
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
1 tsp salt
Additional topping ideas
Fresh cilantro, lime wedges or jalapeño
1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, combine all seasoning ingredients and mix well.
3. Place tilapia fillets on baking sheet. If fillets were thawed from frozen, make sure to pat away excess moisture. Drizzle olive oil over the fillets and sprinkle with seasoning blend (you may rub the blend in with your hands to make sure the fillets are well covered). Squeeze lime juice over the top.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until fish becomes opaque and the thickest part of the fillet flakes easily with a fork. Thicker fillets may need additional cook time.
5. Prepare slaw ingredients and tortillas while the fish cook:
a. Chop cabbage.
b. In a large bowl combine cabbage, honey (or sugar), lime juice, garlic, cilantro and salt. Toss well.
c. Cover and store in refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight prior to serving.
d. Stir well, taste and adjust if needed. Often the slaw will need a bit more honey/sugar or another squeeze of lime!
e. Wrap tortillas in foil and place in oven for final 5 minutes of fish cooking to warm through.
6. To assemble tacos, layer two tortillas together (if using street taco size) and add fish. Top with citrus slaw and finish off with a squeeze of fresh lime over the top. Garnish with additional topping ideas as desired.
7. Dig in!